It’s been a while since I posted anything and I apologize for that. Between Birthdays, Thanksgiving and decorating for Christmas time kind of got away from me but I am finished playing catch-up (or will have once I post this blog!) and am sitting down to share with you some unique and unusual gifts for lovers of Asheville which we have here at the Carolina Bed & Breakfast. But you don’t have to actually visit us here at our Asheville B&B (although you should), all of these items can be ordered online. So, in no particular order, here are ten great gifts to give this season.
1) A Gift Certificate for a stay at the Carolina Bed & Breakfast. We will be happy to customize these to your desires. We can add Biltmore Tickets, massages, gifts of flowers, chocolates, and more to make your gift special. Give us a call at (828) 254-3608 or order online.
2) A Gift Certificate from the Asheville Bed & Breakfast Association. If you are not sure that the style of our Bed and Breakfast in Asheville, NC suits your recipient you may want to consider a gift certificate from our local Association. The Asheville Bed & Breakfast Association (affectionately known as ABBA) is comprised of 17 of the finest B&B’s and Inns in the Asheville Area. Choose from the comfortably elegant (that’s us!) to romantic Victorian, from historic homes (us again!) to country farmhouses, mountain views to downtown Asheville (still us!). The Association has something to suit every taste and they all offer outstanding accommodations, wonderful food and service far above anything a hotel has to offer.
3) Recipes from a Big Family by Susan Hinkle Murray. Guests at the Carolina B&B know that we are all about home-cooked food presented with style. We use lots of local ingredients and our herb garden plays an important part in presenting old classics with a fresh twist. Recipes from a Big Family is a collection of recipes which members of my family have loved, from my mother on down to my daughters. They are user-friendly and tested. The cookbook was originally compiled to relieve me of the task of repeatedly sending recipes to my brothers, sisters, children, nieces and nephews. I have since added a section with some of the most requested recipes from the Carolina. Recipes, like good food, were made to be shared! Please call us at our inn, (828) 254-3608 or email firstname.lastname@example.org and we will get one off to you right away! $25
4) David Webb, The American Jeweler is a just-published biography by Angie Burgin Kratzer. David Webb lived in the house at 177 Cumberland Avenue before it became the Carolina Bed & Breakfast as did the author, David’s grandniece. After his start working out of the Cottage on the rear of the property, David Webb went on to design jewelery for Presidents and Movie Stars, including the American Medal of Honor. Although he died in 1975, his work lives on and is instantly recognizable to many. Angie Kratzer has written a loving and interesting biography. You can order your copy on Amazon. Or come along to the Carolina on January 25, 2014 when we will hold a book-signing with the author. $24
5) The Ladies of Shakespeare 16 Month Wall Calendar by the Montford Park Players. This gift is definitely for someone with a sense of humor! This tongue in cheek calender celebrates the bawdy in Shakespeare, using local settings and actors from our beloved Shakespearean Troupe to showcase both the ladies and the plays of the bard. You may recognize a few of the bedrooms and baths as being from our inn. The 16 month calendar is available on Amazon. $20
6) StudioWedBox, a wedding planner in a box. Christmas is a popular time to get engaged and nothing says “Congratulations” better than a 12 month subscription to StudioWedBox. Every month your bride-to-be will receive a carefully curated box full of wonderful gifts, samples and tips from wedding experts across the United States to help with planning her wedding. The StudioWedBox concept was developed here in Asheville, and in Asheville we know weddings! The box is also available in 6 month and single month subscriptions
7) A Hummingbird Ornament by Meredith Gywnn. Meredith is an up-and-coming young artist from South Carolina whom we commissioned to create a “Tree of Life” Sculpture for our back terrace. We liked it so much that we asked her to create a special ornament just for the Carolina Bed & Breakfast. This delightful little hummingbird echoes the logo of our B&B and is cut from metal then covered in green and blue enamel. Exclusive to the Carolina Bed & Breakfast, please call (828)-254-3608 or email email@example.com to order. $8
8) Biltmore Wine. Arguably some of the best wine to come out of North Carolina, Biltmore wines are the only wines we serve at our B&B. No visit to the Biltmore is complete without a stop at the Winery in Antler Hill Village on the Biltmore Estate. In addition to their wines the Biltmore online store offers a wide range of gifts for the home and garden inspired by the Vanderbilt Home and family.
9) The Carolina Bed & Breakfast was one of the first non-cheese-making members of the WNC (Western North Carolina) Cheese Trail. Award-winning Craft goat and cow’s milk cheeses from small farms near Asheville is one of the pleasures of living here. But it’s one you can enjoy too. Looking Glass Creamery will ship cheeses and caramel sauce direct to to you in time for your enjoyment over the holidays. (I especially recommend the Bourbon Vanilla Caramel sauce–yumm!)
10) A gift certificate to enjoy the Navitat Zipline Course just outside Asheville. Zip through the canopy of trees and between mountains for more than two hours at the original Asheville Zipline Course. Navitat is staffed by professional horticulturalists who will painlessly educate you about Western North Carolina Forestry while helping you enjoy the experience of a lifetime in this uniquely beautiful setting.
These are just a few of the wonderful gifts you can find here in Asheville. Happy shopping!